In the wake of Hurricane Maria, a quiet revolution has been percolating on the island of Puerto Rico. What began as an impromptu community kitchen meant to help feed survivors in the town of Caguas quickly grew into an island-wide network of mutual aid centers (Centros de Apoyo Mutuo) with the ultimate goal to restore power — both electric and civic — to the people.
The 30-minute micro-budget film, “The Response: How Puerto Ricans Are Restoring Power to the People,” explores how the mutual aid centers sprung up across the island while centering the voices of those involved in these bold grassroots relief efforts and the movement for popular power that is continuing to emerge.
- Samadi Bali, Bali, Indonesia, December 11, 2019
- Montclair Presbyterian Church, Oakland, CA, January, 26, 2020
- More screenings to be announced soon.
- City University of New York, NYC, NY, Nov 19, 2019
- San Francisco State University, SF, CA, Nov 18, 2019
- Canyon Community Association: Canyon, CA, Nov 13, 2019
- North West Permaculture Convergence: Dexter, OR, September 28, 2019
- WNC Mutual Aid Summit: Asheville, NC, August 30th, 2019
- “The Response” Film premiere: Oakland, CA, July 24th, 2019
The Response is a podcast and documentary series exploring the remarkable communities that arise in the aftermath of disasters. Spanning the globe, each episode takes a deep dive into a unique location to uncover the under-reported stories that are hidden just beneath the surface of extraordinary events.
Shareable is an award-winning nonprofit media outlet, action net- work, and consultancy. Our mission is to empower communities to share for a more resilient, equitable, and joyful world. We inspire social change by publishing solutions-based journalism, running campaigns, and helping our consulting clients achieve their goals through sharing.