When Shareable and Center for a New American Dream decided to launch the ShareFest initiative, we had very modest expectations that 5-10 cities would step up to host an event. Amazingly, communities from around the world in the Sharing Cities Network have hit it out of the park with 40 ShareFests – some with several thousand participants (Belgium), one with over 40 activities (Porto Alegre) and one month-long ShareFest of 30+ events in Oakland! And many, many more sharing events happening this #SharingSpring. We wanted you to see for yourself what the fuss is all about, so we made this ShareFest Video.
ShareFests are the perfect opportunity to celebrate the city commons and to connect activists excited to create a sharing city together. For newbies just becoming aware of sharing, gifting, cooperatives and solidarity economics, a ShareFest is a great introduction – it’s one thing to read about it, and another to experience how empowering a new economy and how rich living it can be first hand.
If your city is well on its way to becoming a sharing city, a jumpin' ShareFest demonstrates that we are part of a bigger movement and we aren't alone! ShareFests all over the world are organizing, connecting and supporting the growth of local projects like timebanks, tool libraries, free stores, shared community resource mapping and much more.
Want to get in on the #SharingSpring? Find a ShareFest near you below or use a complete toolkit to host one in your community. It doesn't have to be a huge production (but it sure can be if you want!) and we are here to help.
Interested in participating in an upcoming ShareFest already scheduled in your community?
- Melbourne, Australia May 29th, hosted by Share Melbourne
- San Francisco, CA May 30th-June 1st, hosted by FreeSpace
- North Bay, CA on May 31st, hosted by Share Exchange and Extended Relative
- Asheville, NC on May 31st, hosted by Share Asheville
- Siderno, Italy on May 31st-June 2nd, contact Luigi
- Prague, Czech Republic on June 1st, hosted by Hearth.net
- Melbourne, Australia on June 1st, hosted by Social Surplus
- Gothenburg, Sweden on June 1st
- Ljubljana, Slovenia on June 1st
- Lisbon, Portugal, ShareFest June 2nd, hosted by Aga Khan Foudation
- Liège, Belgium on June 14th
- Hartford, CT on June 14th, hosted by Public Allies CT
- Barcelona, Spain on June 28th, hosted by Aurea Social
- Brussels, Belgium on July 3rd
- Portland, OR Skillshare and ShareFest on July 12th, hosted by Share Portland
- Toronto, Canada July 16th
- Porto Alegre, Brazil on July 19th
- Berlin, Germany on August 6th
- Oahu, HI, September 20th
- Chicago, IL, hosted by Chicago Time Exchange
- Boston, MA, hosted by Share Boston, (Date TBA)
- Adelaide, Australia, hosted by Share & Save, (Date TBA)
- Amsterdam, Netherlands, hosted by Share NL, (Date TBA)
Need some inspiration? Check out highlights from a selection of ShareFests that already happened this Spring:
- Oakland, CA: Creating Commons Festival Catalyzes Oakland's Sharing Community
- Silver Spring, MD: Silver Spring ShareFest Connects Jugglers Makers and Local Sharers
- Rochester, NY: The Rochester ShareFest: Swaps, Workshops, Hugs and a Little Rain
- Jackson, MS: #JXNRising (coop skillshare)
- Lisbon, Portugal: Lisbon ShareFest Brings Together the Portuguese Sharing Community
- Ann Arbor, MI: Ann Arbor Sharing Summit Catalyzes Local Sharing Movement
- Detroit, MI: Inside Detroit’s Spring Clean Swap SkillShare and DJ Party
- Youngstown, OH: Video – Volunteers Share Time and Talents
- Vienna, Austria: Video – 1st ShareFest!