Get your PDF of "Community Solutions to the Loneliness Epidemic"For the first installment of Shareable’s new editorial series, we asked the question, “how can we respond as a community to reduce loneliness and social isolation?” We go beyond typical approaches to look at how civic engagement, the solidarity economy, public space, housing, sharing projects, and other social innovations can help reweave the social fabric.
Table of Contents
Part 1. Overview/Opinion:
- Introduction: How our loneliness hurts us all,and what we can do about it
- How community involvement can counter our loneliness crisis
- Why we need a change in climate
- Can we build non-sexist and non-racist cities?
Part 2. How people are coming together to solve social isolation:
- 9 ways to reduce loneliness in your community
- How the simple act of sharing a meal is creating community change
- Q&A: Steve King on loneliness, the social side of coworking and the future of work
- Why creating community-led project spaces can ease social isolation
Part 3. How organizations are coming together to solve social isolation:
- How Citizen University is building an army of civic leaders
- Can an app cure loneliness and isolation?
- How Libraries of Things build resilience, fight climate change, and bring communities together How 186 seniors building an exhibit on social isolation also built a community
- 10 innovative projects from around the world that reduce loneliness
Part 4. How governments are coming together to solve social isolation:
- Q&A: How civic governance innovation can increase engagement
- Why countries worldwide are watching how the UK’s newest Minister is handling the loneliness crisis
- How Seoul is confronting its deadly isolation epidemic with sharing
- How sharing can bring Japan’s elderly and youth together
Part 5. Event recap: Exploring community solutions to the loneliness epidemic