Solidarity Economy St. Louis is a coalition of social justice organizations, small businesses, and individuals striving to build and grow a “solidarity economy;” that is, an economy that embodies the values of social justice, ecological sustainability, mutualism, cooperation, democracy, and innovation while resisting the notion of “every person for themselves.”
We believe that economic exchanges, both monetized and non-monetized, should exist to meet human needs, not generate enormous profits for corporations. Because our current economic system does not embody this belief, we must work to change it. There is not a single route to building the solidarity economy. We must experiment. We must strive to create the world in which we want to live, while also engaging with and improving the world in which we already live.
We aim to:
1. Make the solidarity economy practices that already exist in St. Louis more visible.
2. Be a place where people and organizations already engaged in the solidarity economy can share best practices, collaborate on joint projects, and mutually support each other in our pursuit of a more just economy.
3. Lead campaigns that both fight back against the injustice inherent in our current economic system and win resources for our local solidarity economy. We want to build long-term economic and political power.
4. Function as an outreach and recruitment mechanism for existing solidarity economy initiatives. We want to build an organized base of individuals who are knowledgeable about, engaged in, and fighting for the solidarity economy.
5. Inspire and support the development of new solidarity economy initiatives
Learn more about the St. Louis sharing community right here!
Visit the Solidarity Economy STL Facebook page to get up to date information on upcoming events and opportunities to share in St. Louis.
Submit your event to activate more sharing in St. Louis.