As many of us know all too well, the year-end holidays — meant to be a time of peace, reflection, and celebration — too often exhaust us rather than uplift us. That’s why the Center for a New American Dream provides fun and inspiring resources designed to help folks escape the shopping, spending, and frenzied preparations that have become synonymous with the season. This year, let’s focus on more joy, less stress; more love, less waste; and more fun, less stuff.
Here are some resources to simplify the holidays:
1. SoKind Gift Registry: For your holiday wish list, consider using SoKind, New Dream's easy-to-use online registry that will encourage your family and friends to give gifts of time, handmade goods, charitable donations, or useful items that you actually need. If you feel uncomfortable sending out a holiday wish list, try proposing it like this: "This year, I really want to make sure that I’m giving gifts you actually want. I don’t just want to add clutter to your lives! I heard about this online service called SoKind that lets families make holiday wish lists. You can even register for more creative gifts that you can’t get in a store. Here’s a sample holiday wish list — wouldn’t it be fun if our families each created something like it this year?"
2. Top 10 SoKind #SimplifyHoliday Gift Ideas: Looking for a place to get started? We’ve collected 10 of our top gift ideas to help you get started with your SoKind holiday registry, or simply to inspire your gift-giving this holiday season.
3. The More Fun, Less Stuff Holiday Gift Catalog: An alternative gift catalog for those who want to wrap their holidays in more of what matters — meaning, connection, and joy — and less of what doesn’t — stuff, stress, and debt. It’s filled with hundreds of meaningful gift ideas designed to strengthen relationships and improve lives without breaking the bank or our planet. It’s never been easier to #giftoutsidethebox.
4. Printable Coupon Book: Give gifts of time, experience, and memories (not more stuff!). New Dream’s Printable Coupon Book is an easy-to-use template that you can print out, customize, and give to family and friends of all ages. Need some inspiration? Be sure to check out The More Fun, Less Stuff Catalog for hundreds of coupon ideas.
Looking for more inspiration on how to enjoy this holiday season? Check out our most popular holiday blogs:
Here are some additional holiday resources — from Shareable:
- How I Avoided Holiday Shopping Through a Donation Exchange
- How to Throw a Toy Exchange
- Make Your Holiday a Shared Affair
- How to Throw a Holiday Gift Swap
- The Shareable Feast
- How to Reinvent the Potluck
- How to Stage a Clothes Swap
- How to Stage a Media Swap
- Five Alternatives to Holiday Shopping
Don't miss Shareable's latest stories!
Get Shareable in your inbox once a week