One of our New Year's resolutions is to introduce readers to fun and inspiring events that showcase how people are sharing all kinds of resources. If you're interested in learning more about the new economy, platform cooperatives, alternative community currencies, cohousing communities, or some other aspect of the sharing movement, we've got an event for you.
Want us to help promote your upcoming sharing event in our weekly newsletter and social media networks? Post it here. Also, if you're looking for a media sponsorship or speakers or workshop presenters for your event, feel free to reach out to us email@example.com.
1. Mutual Aid Networks - Orientation and new member and pilot onboarding
Webinar | Jan. 21 | 12-1:30 p.m. CST
Interested in joining the Mutual Aid Networks global cooperative to help support and build a neighborly global economy? Or interested in developing a pilot project? Learn how at MAN's webinar.
2. Open 2017 - Platform Cooperatives in London, U.K. | Feb. 16-17
Open 2017, the U.K.'s first multi-day conference on platform cooperatives will explore how collaborative software and cooperative ownership models are being combined to create a collaborative, sustainable economy.
3. New Economy and Social Innovation Forum (NESI) in Malaga, Spain | April 19-22
The New Economy and Social Innovation Global Forum's main objective is to design a roadmap to guide governments to create more sustainable society. Around 900 opinion leaders and social changemakers from more than 60 different regions are expected to attend this forum.
4. The 2017 CC Global Summit: Sharing and the Commons – What’s Next? in Toronto, Canada | April 28-30
This vital event will gather a global community of technologists, academics, activists, creative professionals, and legal experts to work together on the expansion and growth of the commons, open knowledge, and free culture for all.
5. 4th International Conference on Social and Complementary Currencies in Barcelona, Spain | May 10-14
The goal of this conference is to reflect on social and complementary currencies as tools which nurture social change in favor of a completely sustainable development.
6. National Cohousing Conference 2017 | Building Resilient, Sustainable Communities in Nashville, Tennessee, U.S. | May 19-21
This conference will cover cohousing basics as well as hot topics in sustainability and resiliency — energy efficiency, shared resources, and greener buildings. It's for those who are living it, those who are developing it, and those who are just dreaming about it.
7. Village Building Convergence in Portland, Oregon, U.S. | June 2-11
City Repair hosts this annual convergence at sites all around Portland, Oregon, where people come together to create community spaces that feature public art, gathering places, permaculture gardens, and natural buildings and more, in a process called "placemaking."
8. Global Sharing Week | June 4-10
Global Sharing Week is the largest people-driven campaign helping millions discover the rapidly growing Sharing Economy. GSW 2016 boasted 220 events in 70 cities across five continents. Sign up to host an event in your community.
9. New Cities Summit 2017 – Thriving Cities: The Building Blocks of Urban Wellbeing in Incheon Songdo, South Korea | June 7-9
This leading global conference on the future of cities will bring together 800 top CEOs, policymakers, entrepreneurs, innovators, investors, and thinkers from over 50 countries to shape the urban agenda.
10. 2nd Annual Lending Library Symposium in Toronto, Canada | June 9-11
The Toronto Tool Library will be hosting its second annual symposium focused on how to integrate sharing in your community. Potential topics that will be covered include: Starting a lending library, financing your startup, budgeting & continued financing, and volunteer management and retention.
11. 12th Metropolis World Congress in Montreal, Canada | June 19-22
Under the theme "Global Challenges: Major Cities in Action," the Metropolis World Congress in Montréal hopes to get a hold on major cities' new challenges and opportunities in a changing world in which global and local issues overlap and cities are being called upon to play a greater role.
12. OuiShare Fest 2017: Exploring the Edges in Paris, France | July 5-7
OuiShare Fest is an interdisciplinary festival that gathers creative leaders, entrepreneurs, movement builders, purpose-driven organizations, and communities from across sectors and countries who want to drive systemic and meaningful change.
13. Transition to Co-operative Commonwealth: Pathways to a new political economy in Tuscany, Italy | July 10-21
Synergia Summer Institute is an intensive two-week program that links the global with the local through the diffusion of transformative ideas, models, and practices that advance game-changing solutions for progressive change. Download the program http://bit.ly/syn2017 for complete details.
14. Practicing the Commons: Self-Governance, Cooperation, and Institutional Change in Utrecht, Netherlands | July 10-14
The IASC-Conference will be an excellent opportunity for scholars and practitioners from all over the world to meet each other, learn from each other's research and experiences, exchange ideas, and learn from successful examples of management and governance of common-pool resources.
15. Transition US National Gathering - Summer 2017 in Minneapolis, Minnesota | July 28-31
During the summer of 2017, Transition US will host the first-ever National Gathering of Transition Towns in the U.S.
Header photos of last year's Living the New Economy Convergence by Zoe Moore.
Don't miss Shareable's latest stories!
Get Shareable in your inbox once a week