Demonstrating the scale of what's possible via crowdsourcing, one city in the Netherlands built a city-spanning pedestrian bridge, funded, plank by plank, by the crowd. The brainchild of Rotterdam-based design firm Zones Urbaines Sensibles, the bridge connects different parts of town, it increases the city’s walkability, it encourages interaction and it is revitalizing struggling areas.
Rate this article
- Spacehive Crowdfunds Public Spaces
- Interviewed: David Harvey on Rebel Cities
- Hurricane Sandy, Public Banks and Urban Resilience
- Can Civic Crowdfunding Kickstart Urban Innovation?
- Crowdfunding Dinner Bridges Campus-Community Divide
- How to Map the New Economy in Your City
- Have Your Cake & Eat Someone Else's Too!
- Complete Streets Are For Everyone: the Top 10 Policies of 2012
- Is Peer-to-Peer Bikesharing Viable?
- Harvesting the City