For over two years, Shareable has explored the new sharing economy in its many forms: how individuals, families, communities, entrepreneurs, businesses, designers, coders, and countless more are building resilience through collaboration and sharing. In that time, we've amassed a considerable library of how-to share guides, and researched and documented how these shifts are transforming the economy, technology, and civil society.
Download the free Guide to Sharing.
It's one of the first things we learn as kids: How to share.
But this practice usually fades as we become adults. Our houses become filled with our own “stuff.” Garages, attics, basements, and closets transform into cluttered warehouses. When we need something, whether it’s a chainsaw or a roasting rack, our first thought is to go out and buy it. But why get it new when our neighbor down the street has one we can borrow?
The first guide in the New Dream Community Action Kit is all about sharing: everything from starting a tool library to organizing a solar cooperative, from holding a clothing swap to launching a time bank.
With how-to tips, fun videos, and useful resources, the Guide to Sharing provides the inspiration and practical tools you need to get started on these projects in your community – right away!
The guide, available as a free PDF download, offers four Action Ideas to help communities tap into their shared assets and resources. The Center for a New American Dream also released a set of videos to demonstrate each idea in action:
Organize a Community Swap
Focusing on clothing swaps
Focusing on tool libraries
Share Time, Labor, and Skills
Focusing on time banks
Set up a Co-op
Focusing on solar co-ops
Rate this article
- The Ultimate Guide to Traveling Without Money
- Is The Sharing Economy Safe for Women?
- The Sharing Economy Back to School Survival Guide
- Communities Self-insure for Cooperative Healthcare
- How to Start a Repair Café
- Travel Redefined by the Sharing Economy
- Pick Up and Play: a DIY Guide to Building Community Through Music
- How to Make Better Decisions Together
- Mesh2013: Socialstructing the Sharing Economy
- How to Make a Party Box to Share with Neighbors